Connect with us

Nashville Predators

All The Potential Scenarios To Determine Predators’ First-Round Opponent



Photo of Kevin Lankinen, left, and Juuse Saros by John Russell/Nashville Predators

Although a 4-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguin on Monday night squandered an opportunity for the Nashville Predators to take their postseason fate into their own hands, they got a little help from their former coach John Hynes.

Hynes’ Minnesota Wild knocked off the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 on Monday, locking the Predators (47-30-5, 99 points) into the top wild-card spot in the Western Conference.

If the Vegas Golden Knights drop a point in their final two regular-season games against the Chicago Blackhawks (Tuesday) or Anaheim Ducks (Thursday) and finish tied with the Predators in points, they’d be the second wild-card team because Nashville holds the firs tiebreaker (regulation wins).

If the Kings finish the year tied with the Predators in points and they have the same number of regulation wins (the first tiebreaker), they would be the second wild-card team because Nashville would hold the edge in the second tiebreaker, regulations plus overtime wins.

Though the Predators know what position they’ll be seeded for the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, their opponent is still to be determined. Below are the scenarios that will determine who the Predators first-round opponent will be.

Dallas Stars: If Dallas loses its regular-season finale Wednesday night to the St. Louis Blues in regulation AND Vancouver wins its final two games, the Stars would be the No. 2 seed in the West and play the Predators.

Vancouver Canucks: If Dallas gets one point in its matchup with St. Louis, Vancouver will be the No. 2 seed in the West regardless of its final two games.

Edmonton Oilers: If Edmonton wins its last two regular-season games against the Arizona Coyotes (Wednesday) and Colorado Avalanche (Thursday) AND Vancouver loses in regulation to both the Calgary Flames (Tuesday) and Winnipeg Jets (Thursday), the Oilers would win the Pacific Division and play the Predators.

The Predators have a 91% chance of facing the Canucks in Round 1, a 6% chance of facing the Stars, and a 3% chance of facing the Oilers.

Follow Michael Gallagher on X/Twitter @MGsports_

Be sure to follow Nashville Hockey Now on X/Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.

Get Nashville HN in Your Inbox!

Enter your email address and get our stories send straight to your inbox.